Announcement

Collapse

Please consider supporting our server!

Do you enjoy parody artwork (rule 34?) We've been providing it to the new for over 24 years. It would be a great help if you could consider supporting us over at subscribestar! You can get there via this link https://subscribestar.adult/tjapalsupport , thanks so much for considering, every little bit helps!
See more
See less

MMX's Gallery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by innocenttazlet View Post
    Ohes I see that you have updated your own post here, that you draw aswell. The details in the first are very cool looking, a nice contrast for highlighting the details using the invert to make the lines and backrounf inverted. Well I see you have coloured a sketch aswell. Hmm I find sketches an almighty paint to colour myself though you can really bring out some unique effects colouring over shading.

Are you using a mouse to colour with, this does make it even more of a pain and annoyance to use and much more difficult. I can see in your text that your compitent with the concept of layers, still it takes some practice to bring out the effects when painting stuff.

Id say you need to work a little better with the highlights on the picture on the blue part on the legs, they seem like too much for such a stark contrast like they should be refined more. Either not as bright or lesser

Thanks for the comments! Yup. I paint with a mouse. And yes, highlights are a general problem. For one there is a toss up of two schools of thought or possibility for me. One, you have a real sense of highlight on the specific metal. Metal usually has a high sheen, such as on steel or chrome even, but with dyed metals the stain usual bleeds the lighting to a muted color at best. Therefore on chainmail, which is pounded metal,the sheen or any highlights would be muted for the color at best if at all. Especially dyed. Next, there is the stylistic approach of most anime, which adds color, shading, and highlight, no matter what. Even on human skin you see white lines for highlights, when humans rarely have this glowing affect unless sweating. So a balance between the two, as you can see, my form andd line were semi realistic, yet my coloring is strictly cartoonish. I employ bright colors, especially for the background. I have had experience with muted tones, more grim/gritty/realism what have you, but if I am going to color something of mine, it's usually going to be as cheerful and bright as possible. Speaks to the enjoyment of color purity in me I suppose. But none the less.

When you mix and match styles as such you often find yourself at logical impasses. Finding the best of both worlds sometimes just doesn't work. As I said I was working on a new armor sheen technique for the golden parts, and it only made sense to try and... mirror or at least attempt a duplication for the sake of consistency throughout the piece. So in my mind the logic of allowing the anime sheen on plate steel colored bright gold is more apparent than would be realistically allowed on hammered rings dyed/stained blue.

But you are right, I have thought a while on it and find myself thinking that such a piece would fare better artistically if it was a decision one way or the other. A realistic sketch with cartoon coloring can be, hmm, confusing to a viewer. In future I may endeavor to make the realistic sketch cartoon colors a choice rather than an experiment. But that is the joy of art and learning! As bob ross would say "A happy accident!"

I've included the color layer for the work separate from the line work below in case you're interested in taking a gander. Thanks again, and enjoy!
    Attached Files

Comment

Wow, a really nice pic!

Comment

Originally posted by GermanBadCat View Post
        Wow, a really nice pic!
        My coloring is very complicated and the sketch does interfere sometimes. Pin that on crappy clean up on a old scanner though. Hence why you shall so often see either sketches for pure line's sake or color for colors sake.

Not to good at parody myself. Unless it's in character. Even then, I hesitate. Hmm, a failing of my, a sensitivity about and for the characters themselves. at least enough to prevent me from doing any art of them. I did do some fan art though. A while back. Thanks for the comments!

Comment

Originally posted by MangaManX View Post
          I did do some fan art though. A while back. Thanks for the comments!
          Did you post them here? If yes, sorry for my blindness, if no, post them!! I would really looking forward to see them!

Comment

No not yet, but now, yes.

Originally posted by GermanBadCat View Post
            Did you post them here? If yes, sorry for my blindness, if no, post them!! I would really looking forward to see them!
            Well since you asked. Here are a few. Rock Lee, one of my favorite characters from a show I use to like until endless hack filler killed it for me. I still like his character though. ...possibly more than the main character. Oh well, these were from, something around the line of 2004 I think. As you can see my color style is very crazy and wild for these. I also endeavored to match the show's color style for the most part, except for on the last one. Shame I don't really feel up to doing any more of him, or any from that show. Still it was some of the few I decided to do when I still had a DA account.

Also included is a Dragon head from 02-03 can't remember which. I love Dragons. As is evident in my avatar. They are my favorite "mythical" creature. Quotations because that is how they are categorized. Now because that is what they are. Wink. The only problem I have with this old pic is the bottom jaw which after I colored it, looked flat to me. One dimensional. Other than that I thoroughly enjoy it. And the poem. All images copyright me all rights reserved etc. Anyway, enjoy!
            Attached Files

Comment

Wow, I really like your crazy pics. And the dragon has really nice details! Great pics. Thanx for posting!

Comment

Working...
              X